How very vegan are you?
Nowadays a lot of people are turning to vegetarians for many reasons. Some I can think of: to keep fit in order to be as slim as possible, some to save animals from being slaughtered, etc and the list can go on …
In Islam, the followers are allowed to consume meat be it cows, goats, poultry or fish. These are the main providers of proteins while veggies are the source of minerals. All these live animals are to be accordingly slaughtered to the Islamic standard and guide. They should be slaughtered with a very sharp knife and the doer must face the Kiblat (Mekah) accordingly. They must begin with the name of Allah (Bismillah) to show our gratitude to Him who provides us with rezqi (sustenance) and when we’re doing the slaughtering we are to make sure we do it 100% in a proper manner; so that the process can go smoothly –
If slaughtering is killing/hurting/torturing the animals whilst plants are the alternatives, I believe plants also have lives and they have the right to grow and shouldn’t be cut/plucked/cooked/uprooted as that also means torturing lives. So what should we eat? Thus Allah creates animals and plants to be consumed by human-beings so that our body tissues and other organs will be nurtured appropriately –
BELOW IS TAKEN FROM ONE OF THE WEBSITES FOUND FROM GOOGLE:
It’s meant to be shared amongst us and no intended copyright infringement –
Islamic method of Slaughtering animals is better
Al Shaddad Bin Aous has quoted this tradition of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) “God calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter, sharpen your blade to relieve its pain”.
Many allegations have been made that Islamic slaughter is not humane to animals. However, Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many.
1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of the brain.
2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.
3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagus Halal Method.
4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.
5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning.
Results and Discussion:
I – Halal Method
1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.
2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep – unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
II – Western method by C.B.P. Stunning
1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.
2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.
3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.
(Many thanks to Muslim Students Organization – University of Miami)